Links immediately following the image of the American Flag () are links to other POTUS sites.
All other links lead to sites elsewhere on the Web.
Jump to: Presidential Election Results | Cabinet Members | Notable Events | Internet Biographies | Historical Documents | Other Internet Resources | Points of Interest
17th President of the United States
(April 15, 1865 to March 3, 1869)
Nickname: None listed.
Born: December 29, 1808, in Raleigh, North Carolina
Died: July 31, 1875, in Carter's Station, Tennessee
Father: Jacob Johnson
Mother: Mary McDonough Johnson
Married: Eliza McCardle (1810-1876), on May 5, 1827
Children: Martha Johnson (1828-1901); Charles Johnson (1830-63); Mary Johnson (1832-83); Robert Johnson (1834-69); Andrew Johnson (1852-79)
Religion: No formal affiliation
Education: No formal education
Occupation: Tailor, public official
Political Party: Democratic
Other Government Positions:
- Served as Alderman of Greeneville, Tennessee, 1830-33
- Elected Mayor of Greeneville, Tennessee, 1834
- Member of Tennessee State Legislature, 1835-43
- Member of U.S. House of Representatives, 1843-53
- Governor of Tennessee, 1853-57
- United States Senator, 1857-62
- Military Governor of Tennessee, 1862-65
- Vice President, 1865 (under Lincoln)
- United States Senator, 1875
Presidential Salary: $25,000/year
Presidential Election Results:
|Never ran for president.
Vice President: None
- Secretary of State
- William H. Seward (1865-69)
- Secretary of the Treasury
- Hugh McCulloch (1865-69)
- Secretary of War
- Edwin M. Stanton (1865-68)
- John M. Schofield (1868-69)
- Attorney General
- James Speed (1865-66)
- Henry Stanbery (1866-68)
- William M. Evarts (1868-69)
- Postmaster General
- William Dennison (1865-66)
- Alexander W. Randall (1866-69)
- Secretary of the Navy
- Gideon Welles (1865-69)
- Secretary of the Interior
- John P. Usher (1865)
- James Harlan (1865-66)
- Orville Browning (1866-69)
- Andrew Johnson -- from The Presidents of the United States of America
- Compiled by the White House.
- Andrew Johnson -- from The American Presidency
- XXXXXXXXX has created this resource from its collection of print articles in Encyclopedia Americana. Contains a full biography, written by Michael Les Benedict of Ohio State University, along with suggestions for further reading.
- Andrew Johnson -- from The American President
- From the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia, in addition to information on the Presidents themselves, they have first lady and cabinet member biographies, listings of presidential staff and advisers, and timelines detailing significant events in the lives of each administration.
- Andrew Johnson's Obituary -- from Dead Presidents
- The text from page 1 of The New York Times, August 1, 1875. Placed on the web by Manus Hand.
- Andrew Johnson -- from the North Carolina Encyclopedia
- A very text-rich biography on this North Carolina native.
- Treaty with Russia (1867)
Other Internet Resources:
- Andrew Johnson National Historical Site
- Tourist information on this Greeneville, Tennessee park provided by the National Park Service.
Points of Interest:
Previous President: Abraham Lincoln | Next President: Ulysses Simpson Grant
Return to POTUS Index | IPL Lobby
Last Updated March 06, 2016
©1996-2016. Robert S. Summers. All rights reserved.